Welcome to the Southern Downs – we hope you enjoy your trip along Route 15 between Warwick & Stanthorpe, the biggest towns in our regions… Our farmers are spread throughout the Southern Downs- Allora to the North, Wallangarra to the South, Killarney to the East and Karara to the West, and everywhere in between.
Easy to get to: The Southern Downs is 90 Minutes South West of Brisbane 60minutes south of Toowoomba. 60 minutes from Tenterfield, and 2 hours from Goondiwindi.
Our Food Map project was a Dept of Communities grant through Condamine Headwaters Landcare, which we are most grateful for.
This project will continue to be a work in progress- continuously updating as Farmers connect and get listed.
A huge thanks to Sarah Dudin, Mel Forbes and Bridget Ryan for their significant contribution to the database and local knowledge.
We also acknowledge our larger growers in this region supplying major retailers and contributing to our employment opportunities and they are major contributors to the Southern Downs Agricultural sector being valued at over $250million- contributing to over 2.5% of the States produce.
The 3 maps include key information to make it easy for travellers to contact farmers, make a booking or book a tour.
1. Farmers & Products- Producers who sell direct to customers- Farm to Fork- at markets, online & deliver and/or in local retail outlets. Both in the Southern Downs and beyond.
2. Visit the Farm- we have some great farms that either are open for tours, shows or seasonal farm walks.
3. Shop and Eat Local- On farm shops and Cafes with a majority of local produce in their products or on their menus.
Future Activity- We have 4 more events planned:
1. A Farmer/ Chef date night and Amanda Hind from Emeraude – Hampton has agreed to speak at both events ( Warwick & Stanthorpe) as a Chef actively buying local produce from farmers… Amanda will provide great insight with her experience. The full producer list will be available for all Café’s in Southern Downs to source local food- this has been hard to source.
2. We will also have 2 producer dinners planned at Stanthorpe and Warwick in October/ November when more products are available, and maybe we will have some rain by then